Monday, May 3, 2021

Flagstaff to Tuba City, Arizona

The last couple of days has been planes, buses, automobiles and yes today, finally, bikes.

We were collected in Phoenix yesterday by Derald and driven up to Flagstaff.   We got to meet his friends Bob and Carrie.   We are cycling 2000 miles and will end up at their cottage in the UP.  There is a fun symmetry to the thought that they will bookend both ends of this adventure.


Listed below is the route and the statistics for the day. What it doesn't say is that Derald said it would be easy day, all downhill with the wind at our backs.  What the statistics don't say is that we were cycling into a 10 to 15 mile per hour headwind all day.

In fairness, I need to mention that a mistake on my part resulted us being delayed by nearly 2 hours in the morning.  When I put my bike together Sunday night I failed to notice that my derailleur hanger was bent.  I quickly found out when I downshifted to go up the 1st hill. My derailleur went into my spokes. For those of you that don't cycle that's a bad thing. Fortunately the ingenuity of Robin and Derald saved the day and we were on the road with only a couple of "bonus miles."

 As usual, I didn't take a lot of pictures the first day. Today was "survival cycling" and we all made it although were very sore and very tired and can't figure out how are gonna get up tomorrow and do the same thing, but we will.

Here is what we looked like at the start of the day.


 If we had the energy to take a picture at the end of the day, it wouldn't look so good.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad the derailer hanger incident did not waylay you for too long and that you discovered sooner rather than later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....we were lucky. No way we would have found a Cresent wrench where we were traveling.

      Delete
  2. As we recently drove a similar route, I can't imagine doing it on a bike! It will be great to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary and Bill. I think today we can't imagine it by bike either....oh well, we are off to Kayenta.

      Delete
  3. Go Dick Go!! I love the derailer story....people don't usually hear the reality of trips like this and the day to day challenges that pop up. Have a great ride today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin.....now wind this morning and tailwind forecasted for the afternoon.

      Delete

Curtis, Michigan

Today we reached the end of the road for this adventure.   Just after noon, we arrived at our destination of Bob and Keri's cabin on the...